Monday, May 18, 2009

WT: 175Km Weekend Highlights - Shuutak takes on his World Tour













Shuutak takes on his Cycling World Tour WT cutting across South Korea (Busan to Gangneung to Incheon), then ferrying to China (cycling to northern parts I was told) and on to Europe and Africa as part of his WT by bicycle. He is 25 years old, already ridden across/around Australia in 2007, he was plodding away gracefully against a stiff head wind...towards Gangneung, Korea today. We met yesterday while I was heading South to Uljin and he was heading North to Gangneung. It was great to cross paths again, ride together, and snap some photos for his WT 2009-2011. Best of luck on tour, "we must be strong" were his last words when I saw him, better believe it on his bike around the world. He seemed to be doing fine on his own, cycling a steady 9 Kph against the hungry headwinds, he had his ZEN in order. ^^!!! Shuutak has an amazing blog to look at [if you can read Japanese Kanji] but I think he will find a tweak for Wordpress that allows International translations, a Widget or Code could help with that. I know Nicholi uses it when blogging in Danish [ http://www.worldtravellers.dk ] and I have really enjoyed following his progress from South America months ago. Shuutak and I both rode the rains on May 16th which opened up my start from Gangneung to Donghae on the night T/RAIN (cycling in the rain at night). I cycled for 3 hours, covering a wee 45km from 9pm-12am Saturday on long ascending grades and short/steep descents into Donghae. Sunday/Monday combined I cycled 130Km (not-much-there distancewise) but the terrain was 4/5 on difficulty, mountains & more mountains!!! I should be talking about "Wordpress" right now because it would be easier to write and add photos, I've been tweaking this site for an hour, losing photos, moving bits and pieces, but I still haven't situated everything right :( Shuutak gave me his card, link to his blog is order (keep track of this WT Rider, as his tour has just begun!), http://shuutak.com short & easy enough to remember. We played the name game today, and finally I had Shuutak spell it out for me...TAK for short...I can't read his name card, but I'm sure he'll contact me for corrections & I'll fix things up a bit. The photos speak more than words, cycling after a days rain, stunning...but we found ourselves in clouds of pine pollen (my favorite allergy), but Shuutak wasn't bothered. Cycling for this weekend is over, but I wish my WT friend a safe, adventurous, and memorable trip of a lifetime! Finally bits: Shuutak rides a Surly - Long Haul Trucker, he built it up from parts he bought through online auctions, Ortieb front panniers, Japanese hardware (Nitto Racks), Shimano XT/LX components, heavy-spoked wheels, array of bottle carriers, front trunk/map holder, mats, MSR stove, and everything you'll ever need around the world ^^! Looked like a great kit, much to haul, but places will come when he'll use every bit he's got going with him...Great job Shuutak! ~Please correct me if I have your name spelled incorrectly! ^^Cycling on, and on with endless POWER my friend, Cycling on to your 100,000km, 100 countries goal, that's a load of traveling my cycling man! Good luck on days ahead! ^^!

No comments:

Post a Comment