Monday, June 13, 2011

Himalayas X Expedition 2011 - Pre-launch Information, June 2011


It's time. After 5 years of constant cycling and training (cross training in the gym these past 10 weeks, while giving the bike a rest losing 10kg in the process), I am prepared for the Himalayas X Expedition 2011. The route isn't etched in stone, but what I can tell you is the route will include transit from South Korea to Tianjin, China and cycling to Qingdao, China to meet my local host Li Wei, an amazing international student now studying at my university. I hope to share a visit with Li Wei and prepare for an overland train experience to the starting point of the expedition. Special interests, the Taklamakan Desert, Central and Western China, Tibet and the Himalayas.

Actually, it all begins when we leave our house in the morning and go out and explore our world...well, this expedition has a little more formalities including immunizations, visa preparations, familial responsibilities, and preparing to face the physical elements -both the natural world, and in utilizing the self-preparation that came in training, and finally sorting out the equipment lists along with the logistics and coordination/communication with partnering foundations). It all took several months to finalize, but we are finally here - 7 days from the moment I walk out my front door onto an expedition of epic proportions -at least in my book.

It's been 10 years since I had once, bright-eyed and bushy headed, set off as a thrill-seeker (1993-2001), my purposes and calculations are much different now - but I do hope to catch that endless 'spirit of adventure' while out riding, speaking in foreign languages (Mandarin, Tibetan, Uighur) as I roam the urban, rural, inhabited and uninhabited-open landscapes that envelope the people in tiny pockets of cultural perimeters. I hope to cross through geographical (following the topographical curvatures), cultural, linguistic, and national boundaries into open domains with a bicycle. Inside of me there is fear, apprehension, calculation, mental mind-mapping of the route, the experiences expected or unexpected - of course all of this is human nature to find out the -why? -where? -who? what's next? and deal with the uncertainties when they must be dealt with -all these questions will be answered in a rhythm that can follow a route and keep within the limits we set for ourselves, or those imposed upon us and make alternate arrangements to carry on. I look forward all of it. It's a moment of choice, a moment of chance, a moment of freedom, and movement across a great land.

It's an exciting time in my life, I will share the journey with you, and make it more than just my personal lived experience -reporting back and sharing the "now" with all of you -hopefully, to inspire others to live their personal dreams or support an organization you believe in. I've scheduled 60 days to cover the ground, to experience a region of the world I knew existed primarily in books, blogs, or pages on the internet, shared ideas and daydreams. This time around, the experience is real, the risks are calculated and distances are challenging, especially on a bicycle. What could be better than a bicycle expedition into the unknown (giggles)

I am supporting several amazing non-profit foundations led by explorers Robert Hill, Ostomate and Mountaineering expedition veteran of the Seven Summits Series supporting IBD research for a cure  (for more information: IDEAS - Intestinal Disease Education & Awareness Society, Canada); and Antony Jinman, veteran Arctic & Polar Explorer and founder of the innovative non-profit school outreach, ETE - Education Through Expeditions, UK) and I will share more information about the causes, the mission, and the experiences of bicycle touring along the roof of the world on this journey.

Thank you for taking interest in the Himalayas X Expedition 2011 and I hope you enjoy your visits to the Korean-World, an adventure blog running since 2007 (visit the links to friends and adventurers on this site).


An old quote, I will continue to follow in the coming weeks...


"Face your fears to live your dreams."


Brian Perich, Adventurer, Father, Teacher and supporter of non-profit organizations.


@ the office, teaching English as a Foreign language in South Korea



No comments:

Post a Comment