Saturday, September 19, 2009

WT: Letter to Kevin Shannon, Adventure Cyclist for Combat Stress



Hey Kev,

I did a follow-up interview with The Korea Times (National English News) for September 2009.

I'm about 7kg lighter now. I've started my Masters & have been studying long and still teaching ESL, so getting the hard bits of cycling in there too, I dropped a lot of weight.

What fuel is recommended for cyclists fueling up [days before the ride]: pasta mixed with raisins, peaches, apples, tuna, tomatoes, etc...[while riding]: throw anything in there that's fresh -amazing raisins, green/red juicy apples, fruits-go nuts on fruit energy, great energy for hard days on the saddle. I experimented with fruit, after meeting my vegetarian friend/cyclist Murray DP in South Korea. Murray is joy to cycle with, a lean/mean machine on the bike, and fueled on vegetarian foods [no meats in this man, except on his bones!].

What did I learn from Murray the Healthy Cycling Guy? I then realized all the bulky fuel snacks (cookies, bars, etc..) was a bunch of garbage holding my legs down like bricks, and not making cycling a pure joy as it should be. So, I switched to fresh fruit & I'm happy to say that this is definitely the fast-track for healthy power-cycling for hours on the saddle.

I'll be bundling up to train through the winter. But shedding the weight by eating right! That's my update from here!

Kevin Shannon is going on a "Zero Emissions Cycling World Odyssey" in support of his chosen charity, Combat Stress, helping traumatized war veterans regain a healthy life after their military duty has ended. You can follow Kevin Shannon's Cycling World Tour by Bicycle here. All the best/safe keeping to Kevin on his quest to bicycle Around the World for Charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment