Saturday, December 1, 2007

English is a Big Business in South Korea!

I completed a mega-teaching experience over the past 12 months, crossed the finish line, and saved $ for the baby expenses coming soon! We moved immediately following the contract completion. I'm in a Chicago-ish city 1 hour from downtown Seoul. I haven't ventured out yet on my own. I've only taken a cab to work on Thursday (first day at the new job) and rode the bike yesterday. It's only blocks away (1 metro stop) from our Officetel, which is a giant and modern living complex that has studio units with heated wood-floors, and is cozy. With a baby, this one-room bungalow will be really small. Mi Sung is almost 7 months pregnant, we know it's a boy! His name will be Matthew James. Of course, Mi picked his given name, I chose his middle name (middle name chosen to remember my #1 friend from the UK/USA...James P.), and the name combinations are quite unique. We're excited, but we just snug and spend quiet time together now awaiting his birth. Mi quit her teaching job last Wednesday with me, she worked there for 16 months, and I worked there 12 months. Glad to move on...and I never worked so much in my life as I did in the past year. I've started another teaching job at an Empire English Academy, they have 1000+ after-school students at one location, with 5/6 other schools around Seoul! I estimate this academy grosses $350~400,000USD per month at this single location. English education is big business in South Korea. Anyways, Christmas is just 24 days away. I wanted to get this note off early. Hope to hear from all my friends and family. Blessings and hope all is well for everyone back home. Have yourself a warm and cheerful holiday season! ^^++ Brian in Korea.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brian- thanks for sending me your blog link. It is really interesting & entertaining. I love learning about new cultures. I am half way through the blog and plan to catch up on the rest this weekend. Don't be too home sick - Canada is nice, but I bet you not much has changed since left windsor. Congratulation to you and Mi on your little one.
    Erica Sartori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Bro on that baby!!! Keep us all informed on your life and travels. Its always interesting..... Dave in USA (Michigan)

    ReplyDelete