Sunday, July 8, 2007

Friendships in Korea


It's difficult to maintain the level of friendships we might take for granted in our homelands while living overseas. Though I work with many foreigners, it is easy to be out-of-touch, and hence, it forces me to look elsewhere for renewed friendships and fellowship. Dave and Andrew have filled the gap, and with our recent trips to some islands on the west coast, hike across Bukansan in Seoul months ago, and other trips around Seoul have helped bite off the boredom here in Korea. I value their friendships. Dave's off to Canada today, and Andrew will be leaving for law school in the fall. With the exception of the occasional "staff-sponsored BBQ", it's just Mi Sung and I to spend our days together. So, I think one of the toughest challenges is finding true friends ^^++. Teaching English in Korea is not considered a profession by most, it's just a way to save money, pay college loans, and see more of asia for a year in transition after college. Unfortunately for me, life in Korea has more of a permanent tenure and with it comes a responsibility to reside longer than most foreigners I see...I miss alot of things back home, friends, family, and everything that's connected to the life I value. It's too easy to be a stranger here, and it forces you to make the best of each day, regardless of how others treat you...boohoo! I miss my world, I miss Canada, I miss my friends and especially my family!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment