Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Outer Mongolia - by Mountain Bike // Mongolia X Project 2012 HD






This video is a 13 minute trailer part of the MongoliaX2012 expedition project on a mountain bike.
Last summer, I completed a challenging 2500 km overland expedition across Outer Mongolia between Russia and China. The expedition lasted 45 days, 38 days actively mountain biking across the Steppe grasslands and mountainous deserts and forests of the northern rim.

Accumulating approximately 40,000 meters (131, 234 feet) vertical altitude change across 2500km of arid Mongolian Steppe on a unique route I planned myself.  I wore through 10 replacement rubber truck tube soles I glued on a single pair of SPD-Shimano compatible Pearl Izumi mountain biking shoes and underwent a years physiotherapy following the expedition in the summer of 2012.

I went for adventure, cultural experience, endurance and to experience the world learning through experiencing life on a mountain bike.

For a comparison of altitude changes across Mongolia's rugged mountains:
"Scientists supported by the National Geographic and Boston's Museum of Science were able to operate Global Positioning System (GPS) satellite equipment on the very top of Mount Everest last May and have determined the precise height of the world's tallest mountains. The revised elevation - 29,035 feet (8850 meters), two meters or seven feet higher than the previously accepted figure - was announced Nov. 11, 1999" This article is reprinted from the Mountain Zone web site (mountainzone.com)



My expedition was supported by LYNSKEY PERFORMANCE, USA using their hand-made titanium frame, the M240S. I would like to thank them all for supporting and encouraging expeditions globally.

Over the last several years, I have been working with two amazing foundations working in community, the first is IDEAS which touches very close to my heart.  IDEAS is led by global explorer/mountaineer Robert Hill of Canada, who successfully completed his No Guts, Know Glory 7 Summits Campaign (including Mount Everest in 2010) with an ostomy as a measure to improve his life living with IBD.

IBD is the collective name for Crohns Disease or CD and Ulcerative Colitis ,UC which are chronic, long-term conditions requiring serious medical treatment or surgeries to help those millions of patients around the planet inflicted with this debilitating disease. Inspiration is the key to survival on Earth, no matter what circumstances we live through, there is always a cure to struggles with dedication, determination, positivism and personal growth that comes with overcoming the biggest and almost impossible odds against us.



DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE IN YOU, JUST TRY HARDER NEXT TIME.

Since there is a long road to find a cure, I am in to ride for others who can share my triumphs, and I hope to spread the word about INFLAMMATORY BOWEL DISEASE IBD because it's a voice to a community that needs hope and support, I admire Rob Hill for continuing his community work with the IDEAS Foundation of Canada.



The second foundation is linking schools and formal education with exploring - this is innovative and something I strongly believe in. I explored in partnership with Education Through Expeditions, founded by Arctic and Polar Explorer friend, Antony Jinman of Plymouth, UK. Antony has overcome enormous obstables in his life to bring forth adventure into the classrooms, while undertaking expeditions in Arctic regions of Canada. He is an inspiration and a true leader in his community. I was proud to represent his valuable foundation through Adventure mountain biking the globe as an Explorer Ambassador with ETE in 2011.


I am now affiliated with the Ted Simon Foundation, as a Jupiter Traveller as of late 2012. I look forward to supporting the foundation and sharing expeditions with the world, as I ride mountain bikes.

I hope you enjoy the amateur videos, it's a short and I am not a film maker. But I do enjoy new adventures.




No comments:

Post a Comment