Friday, August 28, 2009

Cycling in Korea: Daebudo Island (Gyeonggi Province)


I've been extremely busy the past two weeks...new projects in my MA program, teaching, and family which takes precedence over all, including cycling, which is my lifeline to continue the life in Korea. Today, we gathered around the kitchen table and ate pancakes, lovely crepes that Mi Sung has been cooking up lately. I went outside to leave for work, saw a smog-free sky, went back inside, changed into cycling gear and off I rode to Daebudo Island (directly from Siheung/Shiwa Tide embankment, or the end of Line 4 OIDO STATION, directions for riders in Korea). Fantastic flats out there, some wetlands to look over, a few loaded trucks, but for the most of it, just me and my cycle, have to love cycling, it takes you everywhere you want to be! I'm on the cyclist's diet (Murray DP's Special!) and it's plenty of fruit and vegetables, low fat everything else, no meat, and Mi Sung adds a bit of fresh fish (omega-3!). Powerful rides on a lighter stomach and I'm taking weight off the wheels, faster spins, it's going quite well now! Special thanks to Bob Stewart of LaSalle, Ontario for the great piece on "One - Arctic to Argentina 2012" It is important to share the mission on the 25,000km expedition from the Arctic raising awareness of Crohn's Disease (CD) and Ulcerative Colitis (UC) which are both incurable, painful and often debilitating diseases that affect 200,000 Canadians and 1.4 million Americans today (those are only North American estimates!). I am coordinating this Charity-Cycling Mission with IDEAS - Intestinal Disease Education and Awareness Society of Canada and GYGIG - Get Your Guts in Gear, both raising international awareness of the fight that millions live with until we can help them find a cure!!! I ride for all of them, today, tomorrow, and into the distance horizons from the Arctic in 2012. Stay with me, get involved, join the rides!

No comments:

Post a Comment