Saturday, April 28, 2007

Bi-Bim-Bop Poisoning 8-9 people

Last weekend I blogged about our fantastic hike on Chiaksan (Chiak Mountain) but on Sunday night following the Saturday outing I started becoming ill. I was tired all day Sunday, whereas, I usually go out mountain biking for an hour or two normally. I couch-potatoed and watched TV most of the day. I felt sweaty and sleepy, but thought nothing of it. At 2am Monday morning, I awoke in a complete sweat. My t-shirt was soaked and I felt nausea, so I went to wash my face and brush my teeth to freshen up. I passed out and did a face first dive into the edge of the bathroom door before landing face down on the wood door frame (in korea, it's a 4"-5" thick wood beam) at the entrance to the bathroom. Mi found me there with my eyes open breathing rapidly but unresponsive. I must have been in shock for several minutes, then I revived and got up. "Time to go to emergency!" There I was treated for head injury and lacerations to my face, but not food poisoning. I had a CAT Scan, X-rays, Stiches, Blood work, I also had a bum-shot for Tetanus, all services for $240 USD. From 2:30am-6:00am, it was a long night. I rested at home Monday, but in the evening starting dashing to the bathroom. On Monday night, I had to go #2 every hour, then every 1/2 hour, then every 15 minutes...and it seemed to never end. Finally, by 5:15am I felt like I'd lost 50% of my body fluids. With my face plastered in stiches and bandaids, I went to a local hospital for 3 hours of IV hydration before returning to work for another 8 hours of ESL Fun! Apparently 8-9 others were really sick too. The source of the poisoning was Salmonella bacteria in the raw egg yolks served in our Bi Bim Bop. This is a popular rice and vegetable dish served at most Korean restaurants. Thanks for the rotten eggs! ^^++ Never eat uncooked eggs or poultry in a Hillbilly backhills restaurant anywhere! It's a most regrettable experience.
Hope all is swell back home. I just wanted to report: "I'm still alive!" ^^++

No comments:

Post a Comment